Due Date: January 29, 2024
- Performers must complete the application and submit the registration fee in order to perform.
- Click the “Register” button above for the application
- Pay $25 Registration Fee Here: Submit Fee
- Performers must be Arizona residents.
- Performers must be in grades seven through twelve.
- Early submission is advised. It is possible that all available slots for performers will be filled before the end of the application submission period. Any additional performers who apply within the submission period for whom there is no slot will be placed on a waiting list. If no slot becomes available, the performer will be informed and entry fee returned.
- No refunds will be given in the event of performer withdrawal.
Date & Time:
- The Competition will be held on Saturday, February 24 between 9am and 1pm.
- We ask families to please reserve the entire duration of the competition until performers receive their exact timeslot.
- The competition may begin earlier or later depending on the number of performers.
- Performers will be notified of their exact timeslot by February 7, 2024.
- Performers will be assigned an arrival time that is roughly 15 minutes before their scheduled warm-up time.
- Divisions are determined by grade level.
- Performers may only perform during their division.
- Each division has different requirements regarding the number of pieces to perform and the amount of time in which they perform.
- Division III has a longer warm-up duration than Divisions I & II.
|Division||Number of Pieces||Warm-Up Duration||Performance Duration|
|I (Grades 7 & 8)||1 or 2||10 minutes||7 minutes|
|II (Grades 9 & 10)||1 or 2||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|III (Grades 11 & 12)||2||15 minutes||15 minutes|
- The competition will be held at Arizona Musicfest: 7950 E Thompson Peak Pkwy. Scottsdale, AZ 85255. (Map)
- Performers must provide their own instrument.
- Music must be standard literature chosen from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern, or Contemporary periods.
- Arizona Musicfest does not provide a list of required or recommended repertoire.
- Simplified versions & transcriptions are not accepted.
- Multiple movements from a work may be entered as one selection, so long as the total program does not exceed the allotted time for the respective division (see above).
- Memorization is not required.
- Accompanied pieces must be performed with an accompanist.
- Performers are responsible for arranging their own accompanist. If assistance finding an accompanist is needed, please email email@example.com.
- Performers must provide three total copies of their score(s): a published version and two photocopies.
- Scores should not have markings that would indicate the performer or teacher’s identities.
- Score(s) must have measures numbered and cuts marked (if any) so the judges can use them as a reference during the performance.
- If your music is in the public domain, the score should be clearly marked “Public Domain” or a cover sheet indicating that should be included.
- Scores will be checked at the Welcome Table for the above requirements and will be returned directly after the performance.
- Standout performers from each Division may be awarded cash prizes in the amounts detailed below.
- Awarded performers may be invited to perform in the Young Musicians Concert Series in the MIM Music Theater.
- Awarded performers may receive additional performance opportunities as they are announced.
|Division||First Prize||Second Prize||Third Prize|
|I (Grades 7 & 8)||$200||$100||$50|
|II (Grades 9 & 10)||$350||$200||$100|
|III (Grades 11 & 12)||$450||$350||$200|
- Judges: TBA
- Judges will stop performers if their performance exceeds the competition time limits. There is no penalty if a performer needs to be stopped for this reason.
- Prizes are awarded at the end of each division to performers who display the highest level of artistic excellence.
- Judges may elect to award ‘Excellent’ and ‘Superior’ ratings to students demonstrating high levels of artistry in their performances. Ratings will only be awarded with unanimous recommendation from the committee.
- Judges have the option to withhold prizes; their decisions are final.
- All students will receive judges’ comments within a week of the adjudication date.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Community Room at Arizona Musicfest
7950 E Thompson Peak Pkwy
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
7950 E Thompson Peak Pkwy
7950 E Thompson Peak Pkwy, Scottsdale, AZ 85255, USA