Due Date: January 30, 2023
- Performers must complete the application and submit the registration fee in order to perform.
- Click the “Register” button above for the application
- Pay $25 Registration Fee Here: Submit Fee
- Performers must be Arizona residents.
- Performers must be in grades seven through twelve.
- Early submission is advised. It is possible that all available slots for performers will be filled before the end of the application submission period. Any performers who apply within the submission period for whom there is no slot will be placed on a waiting list. If no slot becomes available, the performer will be informed and their entry fee returned.
- No application refunds will be given in the event of performer withdrawal.
- Music chosen for the competition must be standard literature chosen from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, or Contemporary periods. Simplified versions are not acceptable.
- Arizona Musicfest does not provide a list of required or recommended repertoire.
- Music must be memorized.
- Accompanied pieces must be performed with an accompanist.
- Performers must provide their own instrument and make arrangements for their own accompanist. If assistance finding an accompanist is needed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Performers must provide a printed (published) version and two photocopies of the piece(s) they will perform. The scores must have measures numbered and cuts marked (if any) so judges may use them as reference during the performance. All music will be returned directly after the performance.
- If a performer’s music is in the public domain, the score should be clearly marked “Public Domain” or a cover sheet indicating public domain should be included.
Divisions are determined by grade level, and each division has different requirements regarding the number of pieces to perform and the amount of time in which they perform. Please see below:
|Division||Number of Pieces||Warm-Up Duration||Performance Duration|
|I (Grades 7 & 8)||1 or 2||10 minutes||7 minutes|
|II (Grades 9 & 10)||1 or 2||10 minutes||10 minutes|
|III (Grades 11 & 12)||2||15 minutes||15 minutes|
- The competition will be held in the Gathering Place at La Casa de Cristo Lutheran Church: 6300 E Bell Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85254
- Performers will receive an arrival time that is roughly 15 minutes before their scheduled warm-up time. Please plan to arrive no later than your assigned arrival time.
- Adjudication Panel: Melita Hunsinger, cello; additional judges TBA
- Judges will stop performers if their performance exceeds the competition time limits. There is no penalty if a performer needs to be stopped for this reason.
- Judges may elect to award ‘Excellent’ and ‘Superior’ ratings to performers demonstrating high levels of artistry in their performances. Ratings will only be awarded with unanimous recommendation from the committee.
- Prizes are awarded at the end of each division to performers who display the highest level of artistic excellence.
- Judges have the option to withhold prizes; their decisions are final.
- All students will receive the judges’ comments within a week of the adjudication date.
- Standout performers from each division may be awarded monetary prizes in the amounts detailed below.
- Awarded performers may be invited to perform in the Young Musicians Concert Series in the MIM Music Theater.
- Awarded performers may receive performance opportunities as available.
|Division||First Prize||Second Prize||Third Prize|
|I (Grades 7 & 8)||$200||$100||$50|
|II (Grades 9 & 10)||$350||$200||$100|
|III (Grades 11 & 12)||$450||$350||$200|
Questions? Contact Ben Baer, Manager of Education, Youth Performance, and Community Programming at 480-422-8431 or email@example.com