March 19, 2023
Grades 7 through 12
Registration Ends: 2/13/2023
Due Date: February 13, 2023
- Performers must complete the application and submit the registration fee in order to perform
- Click the “Register” button above for the application
- Each Performer must submit a Performer and Parent Information Form with the application (Found Here)
- Pay $60 Registration Fee Here: Submit Fee
- Ensembles must be made up of Arizona residents.
- Performers may be no younger than 12 and no older than 18 on the date of the competition.
- Early submission is advised. It is possible that all available slots for ensembles will be filled before the end of the application submission period. Any ensemble that applies within the submission period but for whom there is no slot will be placed on a waiting list. If no slot becomes available, they will be informed and their entry fee returned.
- No application refunds will be given in the event of ensemble withdrawal.
- Music chosen for the competition must be standard literature chosen from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, or Contemporary periods. Simplified versions are not acceptable.
- Ensembles may perform 1 or 2 selections that total no more than 15 minutes.
- Ensembles will receive 15 minutes of warm-up time prior to their competition time.
- One piano will be provided; all other performers must bring their own instruments. We ask that ensembles provide their own page turner, if needed.
- Ensembles must provide a printed (published) version and two photocopies of the piece(s) they will perform. The score must have measures numbered and cuts marked (if any) so judges may use them as reference during the performance. All music will be returned directly after the ensemble’s performance.
- If your music is in the public domain, the score should be clearly marked “Public Domain” or a cover sheet indicating that should be included.
- Music must be performed without a conductor.
- The competition will be held in the Gathering Place at La Casa de Cristo Lutheran Church: 6300 E Bell Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85254
- Ensembles will receive an arrival time that is roughly 15 minutes before their scheduled warm-up time. Please plan to arrive no later than your assigned arrival time.
- Adjudication Panel: TBA
- Judges will stop ensembles if their performance exceeds the competition time limits. There is no penalty if an ensemble needs to be stopped for this reason.
- Judges may elect to award ‘Excellent’ and ‘Superior’ ratings to students demonstrating high levels of artistry in their performances. Ratings will only be awarded with unanimous recommendation from the committee.
- Prizes are awarded at the end of the competition to competitors who display the highest level of artistic excellence.
- Judges have the option to withhold prizes; their decisions are final.
- Ensembles will receive judges’ comments within a week of the adjudication date.
- Standout ensembles may be awarded cash prizes: The First Prize is $450, Second is $350, and Third is $200.
- Awarded ensembles may be invited to perform in the Young Musicians Concert Series in the MIM Music Theater.
- Awarded ensembles may receive additional performance opportunities as they are announced.
Questions? Contact Ben Baer, Director of Education, Youth Performance, and Community Programming at 480-422-8431 or firstname.lastname@example.org