March 2, 2024
Grades 7 through 12
Registration Ends: 2/4/2024
Due Date: February 4, 2024
- Performers must complete the application and submit the registration fee in order to perform
- Ensembles must be made up of Arizona residents.
- Performers may be no younger than 12 and no older than 18 on the date of the competition.
- Early submission is advised. It is possible that all available slots for ensembles will be filled before the end of the application submission period. Any ensemble that applies within the submission period but for whom there is no slot will be placed on a waiting list. If no slot becomes available, they will be informed and their entry fee returned.
- No application refunds will be given in the event of ensemble withdrawal.
Date & Time:
- The Competition will be held on Saturday, March 2, between 9am and 1pm.
- We ask families to please reserve the entire duration of the competition until ensembles receive their exact timeslot.
- The competition may begin earlier or later depending on the number of ensembles.
- Performers will be notified of their exact timeslot by February 14, 2024.
- Performers will be assigned an arrival time that is roughly 15 minutes before their scheduled warm-up time.
- Ensembles will receive 15 minutes of warm-up time prior to their assigned competition time.
- The competition will be held at Arizona Musicfest: 7950 E Thompson Peak Pkwy. Scottsdale, AZ 85255 (Map)
- One piano will be provided; all other performers must bring their own instruments. If needed, ensembles must provide their own page turner.
- Music chosen for the competition must be standard literature chosen from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, or Contemporary periods.
- Simplified versions are not acceptable. Standard transcriptions may be accepted. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm specific transcription eligibility.
- Arizona Musicfest does not provide a list of required or recommended repertoire.
- Multiple movements from a work may be entered as one selection, so long as the total program does not exceed the allotted time for the performance.
- Ensembles may perform 1 or 2 selections that total no more than 15 minutes.
- Music must be performed without a conductor.
- Ensembles must provide three total copies of their score(s): a published version and two photocopies.
- Scores should not have markings that would indicate the performer or teacher’s identities.
- Score(s) must have measures numbered and cuts marked (if any) so the judges can use them as a reference during the performance.
- If your music is in the public domain, the score should be clearly marked “Public Domain” or a cover sheet indicating that should be included.
- Scores will be checked at the Welcome Table for the above requirements and will be returned directly after the performance.
- Standout ensembles may be awarded cash prizes: The First Prize is $450, Second is $350, and Third is $200.
- Prize amounts will be awarded to each performer in the awarded ensemble.
- Awarded ensembles will be invited to perform in the Young Musicians Concert Series in the MIM Music Theater.
- Awarded ensembles may receive additional performance opportunities as they are announced.
- Judges: TBA – Please check back for up-to-date information
- Judges will stop ensembles if their performance exceeds the competition time limits. There is no penalty if an ensemble needs to be stopped for this reason.
- Prizes are awarded at the end of the competition to ensembles who display the highest level of artistic excellence.
- Judges may elect to award ‘Excellent’ and ‘Superior’ ratings to ensembles demonstrating high levels of artistry in their performances. Ratings will only be awarded with unanimous recommendation from the committee.
- Judges have the option to withhold prizes; their decisions are final.
- Ensembles will receive judges’ comments within a week of the adjudication date.
Questions? Email email@example.com
Community Room at Arizona Musicfest
7950 E Thompson Peak Pkwy
Scottsdale, AZ 85255
7950 E Thompson Peak Pkwy
7950 E Thompson Peak Pkwy, Scottsdale, AZ 85255, USA